ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 22 review
The ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 22 has been reborn with ASICS’ new FlyteFoam material. We gave it the LTC review treatment.
It’s new shoe day again at LTC HQ! Big shoutout to the team at @asics_za for sending me these beauts Here’s an unboxing of the new #ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 22. Heard such a lot about the #FlyteFoam mid sole and now get to test it out and let you all know my thoughts Love the smell of new shoes btw #leavethecouch #PerformanceTested #KitReviews
For the last few years I’ve run the majority of my road running in the ASICS DS Racer 10. I liked that fast feeling you get from a racing flat and it’s served me well.
ASICS sent us the Gel-DS Trainer 22 to review and it is a completely different animal on the whole. Much thicker uppers and a beefier sole sporting their new FlyteFoam technology, this shoe is a trainer adept at more general fitness work – worlds apart from the racing flat I knew and loved.
So we strapped them on and hit the streets to test the ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 22:
- As you can expect from ASICS, the shoe is clearly built with high quality materials
- They’ve spent time getting the looks right and the woven detail in the upper gives you that sense
WHAT NEEDS WORK
- The shoe has a slightly smaller fit that was too snug even in my usual running shoe size (based on the DS Racer 10)
- I didn’t notice any comfort improvements from the FlyteFoam technology compared to my other running shoes
- The shoe just wasn’t special at all and didn’t stand out in any particular area 🙁
I was distinctly underwhelmed by the ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 22 and honestly feel that there are better shoes out there that will give you more bang for your buck.
It retails at R2200 and I’ve seen it on special already. In my opinion, it’s not really a pair of shoes that I’d recommend as it is easily substituted with others. The ASICS faithful may be keen to give it a try, but I urge you to check out other models (even other brands) before you commit to these.
Have you run in the ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 22? Please share your comments and feedback below.