High5 Nutrition Review
The team at High5 Sports Nutrition sent me their Marathon Nutrition Race Pack to test. It contained a mixture of gels, bars, meal replacements and hydration tabs that allowed me to get a good feel for their product offering and share my experience with you.
High5 is massive in the UK and joined IRONMAN South Africa as their nutrition partner until 2019. It means that if you’re going to be partaking in any of the local IRONMAN events, you will be seeing lots more from this brand. Africa’s cycling golden boys, Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka, also currently use the full range of High5 products. Brand recognition locally has been growing and products have started popping up in Dischem as well as being available via the High5 online store.
Their website is littered with tons of information on how to use their products. Made from all natural ingredients and performance tested by athletes all over the world, I was really excited to see how it would work for me.
Look, everyone has their own opinions of sports nutrition and whether it’s necessary or not. I just don’t smaak to pack a stack of sandwiches (or a steak) in my pack on a long run and generally opt for a combination of bars and drinks. That is what currently works for me.
I tested the products across my recent training runs and races on road and trail. However I didn’t go full marathon and test them all back-to-back as indicated in the brochure. Instead I used the race pack to see how each item performed and then combined a few when I was more comfortable. All products include carbohydrates as fuel (except the Zero product), so banters beware lol
Here are my thoughts about High5 Nutrition and their Marathon Nutrition Race Pack:
- The Marathon Race Pack is a great spread of products for you to test and get a feel for the High5 brand
- Flavours were great across all items (i.e. gels, bars, meal replacements and nutrition tabs)
- NO UPSET STOMACH!!! This is a first for me and gels. I normally suffer with cramps and bloating. With High5 I could down a few gels back-to-back while running intensely and didn’t have any issue
What needs work
- They are not easily available to test individual products. Unlike GU, you can walk into your local sports shop and just buy a few sachets for under R100. With High 5, you would either need to invest in one of their trial packs or just commit to buying a month’s supply via the website (which can be pricey). So there is always the risk of overcommitting to a product that you don’t like – I suggest one of the trial packs first
- The sachets are huge! Make sure that you have a gel baggie with on your runs as they are big. They actually sell some on their site here and here
I like it.
High5 will definitely grow to becoming a household name and I think that getting a few of the trial packs to test their products is the best option to check if it works for you.
Obviously, people will have different experiences with the products and you most definitely do not want to try something new on race day.
But, ja. I like it a lot a lot 🙂 And that handheld was pretty cool too!
Have you used High5 Nutrition before? Feel free to share your experience below.